Skip to main content

Work Smarter with Cloud Office!

I remember when it comes to manage files across computers, it used to be stressful job. You might end up having double files, and you also need to take your time copy each file to move it across your other workstations. You might be remember one day forget to copy your works into your flash drive, so you have to drive or take the bus coming back to your home to get your works.




What about teamwork? It's another serious matter. When you edit the file, your members will have to wait until you finish your part before they can continue their tasks. Or else, there will be duplicated files and you will get confused: have we edited those parts? Where is the latest files? Damn it, Carl, I have edited those! The other problem is usually is about the amount of time taken to copy numbers of files and distribute it to every members. And we always end up gang-bang our usb plugs with multiple flash drives, while our computers seems so slow when it's about to copy the files.

Well, that's why we need to move forward and change the way we work. By using cloud service, we can flexibly manage our files across devices (yes, computers, tablets, even smartphones) without having to worry we might have duplicated files. When you leave your flash drive home, don't worry because you can access your files anywhere. But how? Because your files are stored in the clouds: it's stored in a central server, with your devices syncing with the central server in order to respond to any changes happen within the files.

Cloud Office

There are some tools available nowadays for free that let you work over the clouds. It's available as a webpage, software, or application in your smartphones and tablets. You can install these softwares too in you computer, so you can conveniently edit it in your computer while it syncing with the clouds. Edit it in the web based systems also let you save your work real time, so you don't have to fear of data loss because of you forget to save it.

There are so many providers of cloud office systems out there, but here I'm going to just introduce you with cloud office systems provided by major companies. In this review, I will also show you example of their web based editor, that let you edit your document files in the browser! All you have to do is sign up to their service, and you can set off and go!

Microsoft One Drive - onedrive.live.com

Part of the Microsoft Office working environment, One Drive is cloud storage by Microsoft. Launched in 2007, this service integrates you with their Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and OneNote, in which you can edit your files directly in the web. If you sign up for their free service, you get 5GB free storage. If you consider to make it serious, the paid service offers you 1TB of storage.


The interface is simple, and by default you get Documents, Pictures, Music, and Public Folder. You can also share your projects with other people, so that they can view or edit the file too! Let's try it's word editor.



The interface pretty much looked like the latest Microsoft Word, with its ribbon interface. The share button on the upper right side allows you to invite people to your projects. You can set the access, either you want the people only allowed to view or they could also edit the files collaboratively in real time. Pssst, the latest version even enables Skype chat alongside the document you shared!

The perk of working with One Drive is it is an integrated environment of Microsoft 365. So in short, if you have Microsoft Office installed in your computer, then you can sync your files with One Drive to store your files in the internet. The cheapest plan to be paid subscriber of One Drive service starts from $6.99 per month (personal). Students can pay for one time purchase with the price of $149.99.

Google Drive - drive.google.com

This is the service that I use the most. Well it's because I'm a Google user, and I have been to much depend on Google services. I really love the way that email and cloud storage integrated to each other in Google (Well Microsoft also got that too). I also love the user interface of Google, simple and enjoyable. It comes with 15GB storage, integrated with your email systems.


You can see in the pictures that I have stored so many files in the clouds. Well, let's see to that red "NEW" button. When you click that you will get some option to create new files using the Google web based apps: Google Docs, Google Sheets, Google Slides, Google Forms, Google Drawings, and My Maps. What I love is Google provides Google Forms, so can easily create interviews and questionnaires (to annoy that friend whom you haven't contacted for a long time to help you fill out your questionnaire).


The interface of Google Docs, as shown in the example, is also so simple. The editing tools will remind you with Open Office (if you ever use this freeware office suites). The formatting feature is actually enough. The other feature that I like is if you click 'Editing' button on the upper right part of the toolbar, you can toggle the editing mode into 'Suggesting' and 'Viewing'. 'Suggesting' mode is basically where your edit in the document will be displayed with note on the right part of the documents. If you don't like your friends work, you can suggest, and they can even respond in reply box to comment on your suggestion. Check or cross would help to indicate either that part is solved or cancelled.


Naver Office - office.naver.com

Because I lived in South Korea, I think I have to review this service. Provided by Naver, a giant IT tech in South Korea, Naver Office is the Korean version of cloud office. It has beautiful and fancy looking interface, I do like it. They actually provide English service, but unfortunately not for everything. But it's interesting to introduce you with this service, because as a foreigner it's just nice to know about this local Korean version!



The first time you access the home, the main tab will clearly mentioned Home, Word, Slide, Cell, and Form. When you click the Word tab for example, you will directly see some default templates, in which I can say they provide extensive amounts of templates! What I love from Naver is, these templates are beautifully design, good looking, and very functional! There is CV templates, resumes, daily plan, movie poster, invitation, report, thesis.... more than enough! (Take a look at Slide, Cell, and Form templates too. They are so beautiful!)



Let's take a look at the Word apps. Wow, suddenly every menu changed into English! Haha nice, because despite I can speak Korean (on beginner level), it's comfortable to see alphabets around. The menu is ribbon interface, so it's pretty much like Microsoft Word. Unfortunately, despite of all those beautiful design, Naver Office has not yet provide collaborative editing mode. As of December 2015, it's still in its beta version. I hope it's going to be available in the future!



Which one I prefer the most?
I prefer Google as I depend on Google so much. Beside, Google provides a nice collaborative environment to work it. Their service is also good, it's a really nice integrated Google environment, and stability across devices is not an issue. The reason I'm using Naver Office is actually because I live in Korea and sometimes I have to deal with .hwp files (Korean have their local version of .doc too). Microsoft? Well they do have good interface, but I just rarely using their service. Moreover I'm a Linux user, so I don't have any Microsoft softwares installed in my systems.

Anyway, start working with cloud from now on! Since I use cloud, I don't have to worry that I leave my files at my workplace desktop, or it's in my laptop at home. As I can access the files in my smartphones, small edits can be done while I'm commuting or travelling. I can conveniently access files using my smartphones, and send it to my friends in time they need it when I'm away from my computer. Work Smarter with clouds office!

Other good review

Sites.google.com,. (2015). Web Office - Naver vs Google. Retrieved 17 December 2015, from https://sites.google.com/site/popularsiteswiki/common-services/web-office

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Korea National University of Arts: Chic and Trendy!

I looked for something to travel, which is unusual and less touristy. Then my friend came from Busan and he told me to visit one of his friend attending an art university. That sounds cool, and I just realize that the university he was talking about, Korea National University of Arts, located just some meters away from my own university, Kyung Hee University. So now I know that Kyung Hee University, Korea National University of Arts and Hankuk University of Foreign Studies were located in one neighborhood. His friend was having graduation exhibition, so I though it's gonna be nice to see the works as well. We stop by a flower shop (it's a tradition here to give flower to someone graduated or having their work exhibited), then we head to her campus. With a really nice sunny weather, it's a great time to go out and having sunbathing in the midst of the winter. I was so surprised, the campus is great. It has nice contemporary architecture and landscape. I really like th

Trip to Bukchon in Seoul

As the end of the year is getting closer, I get some holiday from my Professor so I can spend my time with my friends. They coming over to Korea, so I want to accompany and show them around Seoul to get the best experience ^^ The very basic of the tour is starting from around the downtown area in Gwanghwamun. Showing them the traditional sense of Korea has made them being mesmerized for the Korean way of beauty. Despite I have been living for about 10 months in Seoul, sometimes there are always new things to discover in the city. It's always amazing to know that Seoul has stories from its citizen either waiting to be told or to be heard. For me, this time it's about Bukchon area. Despite this is so mainstream destination for tourist, but Bukchon is interesting for its Hanok architecture (traditional house) and local genius for its technology achievement. The pattern that was used on the exterior, and the way they work out the interior of the house is beautiful to me.

Why Work Doesn't Happen at Work: A Blog Review

Just like education doesn't happen at school, so do work: it never happen at the office. The reason was pointed out really well by Jason Fried in his TED talk on October 2010 at TEDxMidwest. He bluntly just said that manager and meetings were the two suspects of this case! Wow, really? But we always think that these two are the crucial components of modern office days, don't we? We almost never hearing someone saying that office is the place where things get done. Office is just like casual place to meet you colleagues, talk and chit chat over works, then mostly you left out with piles of papers undone. Well, not always the case, but it's frequently happening and no one seems like really put their concern about it, right? I've been asking people this question for about 10 years: "Where do you go when you really need to get something done?" I'll hear things like, the porch, the deck, the kitchen. I'll hear things like an extra room in the house, the bas